Start and end positions

Aaron Tomb aarontomb at
Mon Jun 1 16:29:19 EDT 2009

A number of parsers that I've encountered before decorate their ASTs
with two pieces of position information: a start position and an end
position. Currently, Language.C only has one piece of position
information, although I notice that there is a PosLength data type in

Does anyone have any thoughts on either adding an end position or
making wider use of PosLength? Of course, there will be an issue with
preprocessor macros, as there is with the current position
information. However, it seems as though start and end line numbers
would still be useful, even if column information is unreliable.

Would the current parser design be amenable to extracting extra
position information?