Installing gtk2hs with GHC

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at
Fri Jul 16 09:40:08 EDT 2010

Friday, July 16, 2010, 3:34:51 PM, Simon Marlow wrote:

> So I suggest we leave the GUI library as an add-on, but explain clearly
> how people can get up and running with *some* GUI library quickly, with
> pointers to instructions for their platform.

just now i'm in process of installing ghc 6.12.3 with gtk2hs on Windows
according to instructions on

i have done the following to install it:

0. downloaded cabal.exe 1.8 into C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\cabal\bin directory
and added it to the PATH
1. uninstalled (ghc-pkg unregister) and then installed manually the mtl package
2. installed manually alex and happy
3. extracted all-in-one package from
4. added its bin directory to PATH
5. executed "cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools"
6. executed "cabal install gtk"

now it successfully compiles and runs GTK2HS examples (although i'm
missing split-objs)

i was need to reinstall mtl since it was registered in *user-local*
ghc-pkg database and happy wasn't happy with it. manual installation
registered it in global database

cabal-install was unable to install alex&happy - some executables,
built due process, was segfaulted.
manual installation (Setup.hs configure/build/register) was successful though

"cabal install gtk" actually failed for me since it tried to search for
gtk2hs-buildtools files near to directory where i have left cabal.exe,
so i have added the "0." step

Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at