Trouble building haskeline on OpenBSD, due to libiconv?

yary at
Thu Feb 19 22:06:32 EST 2009

I'm having trouble building haskeline. I suspect its my setup and not
haskeline, thus I'm not submitting a bug report in trac.

Here's the output from the build process:
pinky ~/pugs $ cabal install pugs
Resolving dependencies...
Downloading haskeline-
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             (
/tmp/TMPhaskeline- )
Linking /tmp/TMPhaskeline- ...
/usr/local/lib/ghc-6.10.1/libHSrts.a(RtsFlags.o)(.text+0xd69): In
function `setFullProgArgv':
: warning: strcpy() is almost always misused, please use strlcpy()
/usr/local/lib/ghc-6.10.1/libHSrts.a(RtsFlags.o)(.text+0xacb): In
function `open_stats_file':
: warning: sprintf() is often misused, please use snprintf()
Configuring haskeline-
checking whether to use -liconv... setup: Unable to link against the
iconv library.
Pugs- depends on haskeline- which failed to install.
haskeline- failed during the configure step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1
pinky ~/pugs $ find /usr/local/lib -name '*iconv*'
As you can see this is in the process of building pugs- I don't know
much about Haskell or cabal. If someone can tell me where to look I
can dig deeper.