Preview of XHTML, CSS style-able Haddock output

Thomas Schilling nominolo at
Tue Jul 20 11:41:17 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I was wondering whether really want to keep the table in the argument list.

On the one hand it allows a very compact and neat layout when all the
argument types are short.  However, when the argument names get longer
it just looks weird.  E.g., if one argument is a function, the
description column gets really small.  Ideally I'd like something like

    :: ShortArg   Description right next to it
    -> (ALongArg -> Because -> ItIsA -> Function)
                       Description on separate line, but lining up
with the other descriptions.

As an approximation of this, I personally wouldn't mind if we use
separate lines for everything.  It makes the documentation a little
bit longer, but overall I believe it would be better than the
table-based approach.

I attached a small proof-of-concept.

What do you think?
/ Thomas

On 19 July 2010 08:22, Mark Lentczner <markl at> wrote:
> Friends -
> Take a gander at:
>    -single page version-
> or   -frame version-
> Notice the style switcher menu on the top right... :-) Now poke around those pages...
> I've completely revamped the backend over the last few months and now it produces 100% validating XHTML with "semantic markup". All styling is done in the CSS. This makes the pages smaller, style-able, and quite a bit more scrape-able.
> For the Tibbe and Snappy themes, I cribbed from Johan's example page in Trac #108, and from the Snap web site. You should be able to easily grab the css and see how they are put together and start playing with them or a create a new theme if you want.
> Looking forward to finding out what you think.
>        - Mark
> Mark Lentczner
> IRC: mtnviewmark

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to
consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the
family Anatidae on our hands.