Gtk2Hs 0.9.10 released
Gtk2Hs version 0.9.10 is now available from:
An installer for Windows is available. A package is available for Gentoo. Packages for other platforms should become available soon (hopefully including Fedora Core, Debian, Darwin, FreeBSD and OpenBSD).
Changes since version 0.9.9:
- New bindings for the cairo vector graphics library. This provides a easy-to-use vector graphics API (using a PDF-style drawing model) with high quality output for multiple backends (screen, print and image files).
- Completion of Pango, the text layout and rendering engine of Gtk+. We now provide all functions that end users should ever need for rendering text, ranging from type-setting whole paragraphs down to breaking up attributed text into several runs. All offsets into Haskell strings are transparently translated into UTF-8 offsets used in Pango, thereby alleviating much of the grief of dealing with Unicode.
- new Gtk+ 2.8 APIs are bound
- many bugs fixed
- various minor documentation improvements
- an installer for Windows is available again
- the mozembed HTML rendering component can now be built against the FireFox libraries if the appropriate developer files are present.
Other news since the last release announcement:
- Paolo Martini won a $4500 grant under the Google Summer of Code programme for a project to add bindings for the cairo vector graphics library to Gtk2Hs.
- Gtk2Hs is being used as part of the practical element of Functional Programming courses at the University of Oxford in England and the University of Jyväskylä in Finland.
Gtk2Hs feature highlights:
- automatic memory management
- Unicode support
- nearly full coverage of Gtk+ 2.8
- bindings for the cairo vector graphics library
- support for the Glade visual GUI builder
- bindings for several Gnome modules:
- extensive API reference documentation
- multi-platform support with native look
- LGPL licence
Platforms and requirements:
- builds from source on Linux, Windows, MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris
- builds with GHC 6.4.x, 6.2.x, 6.0.x and 5.04.x
- works with Gtk+ version 2.0 through to 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8
- optional cairo support requires cairo 1.0 or later, however usign cairo in conjunction with Gtk+ requires Gtk+ 2.8.x or later
- optional Gnome support requires Gnome 2.0 or better
- optional Mozilla support requires Mozilla 1.4 or better
Goals for the 1.0 release:
- a stable API for the 1.0.x series
- greater coverage of the Gtk+ API (we’re about 90% there now)
- support for the OpenGL 3D rendering API
- introductory and other tutorials
- packages for all popular platforms
Please report all problems to the gtk2hs-devel mailing list
Contributions and feedback are also most welcome.